I've been making things for my upcoming show at the Contemporary Crafts Market (June 11-13 at the Santa Monica Civic) and I realized that I need to make a bunch of earrings. Fast. So I've given in to mass production. Not a lot of mass, but not one off's either.
I always try to stress to students that if you're using a commercial tool, you want to think of a way to make it unique to you. Use more than one texture maker on a single slab of clay, cut a shape with a cookie cutter and then cut it again with another to change the shape... Things like that. And I do it myself. But even using cookie cutters in an inventive way can take time. So I came up with the brilliant idea to make my own shape templates. Why did it take me so long to figure out that little shortcut? Doh!
I used rubber cement to glue the paper to the copper
This bench pin is great. It raises the height of the pin to what it would be if I were using a jeweler's bench instead of a desk.
I drew three designs that I liked, cut them into manageable sizes and glued them to a piece of 24g copper sheet. Then I pierced out the shape with a jeweler's saw and used them to cut multiple earring pieces.
Fired 'em up, soldered some 20g wire on to 'em, patinated, polished and put 'em together to document for you! I'm very happy! Not quite sure about the little amphora shapes, but I'll put 'em on the table and see if they get any bites. Not sure if any of them deserve to be pendants either, but I'll think on it. Loove them all as earrings. And I got so much done in two days. I might like this production thing after all.